We are skilled at what we do but we need to constantly grow and build our practices to expose ourselves to different situations, different people, and different thoughts so that we can get better. Generally we’re already more educated in our field than 99% of the people we see so we can come off as an expert but without a growing practice we can easily stagnate. An old joke I once heard rings true, what’d you call a Doctor without any patients? Unemployed! You can apply this to every professional position. SO how does one get clients?
If that was an easy answer everyone would do it and three never would be an issue and those that wanted to build a practice would very successfully, but getting clients is not an easy thing. Thus there are no magic bullets, sorry to disappoint you, but there six steps you can take to build your clients and they may seem like common sense or they may seem foreign it will all depend on your mindset.
- Treat yourself like a client – Now it would be foolish if you were your own client or patient, but hire someone in your specific field and see them like you would expect your patients to see you. Experience the experience of being a patient and then apply that to you practice so that clients can experience the positives and not experience the negatives your experience.
- Don’t be the expert – All right, who thinks I’m off my rocker? No don’t be the expert. You already are the expert in your area of study that is why clients are considering you, but stop talking like it. Talk like a human being and explain what you do in terms that fit for them and help them understand how you will help them.
- Talk about yourself not in a bad or arrogant way but in a language of how you will help them and who you are.
- Be yourself – be a human being not someone on a high horse
- Connect – Go out and network, but network in a way where you are helping others not serving yourself. When you make it about others then you will reap greater rewards.
- And Finally – Stop sitting in your office, go out and talk to people. Get to know people, get to know who is working one way or needing something and find out what you can do.
Rodney Mogen, is the president of solveurpuzzles, a business focused company. Helping financial advisors and insurance agents solve their case troubles and issues. Rodney is also a small business advisor focused on developing financial strategies for small business owners and helping them develop their own strategy and ideas to grow, sell, develop the way they want. He is focused on creating proper financial strategies for Advisors and business owners to assist them in their day to day duties by solving their financial puzzles. Rodney is also the Director of Financial Strategy for The Evans Group. Check out more information at www.solvurpuzzles.com and the financial strategy work for The Evans Group at www.financialselectservices.com.